6 must do things on a one-day excursion to Nafplio
You really can't get enough of this town, no matter how many times you visit it or how many days you stay in Nafplio...
Nevertheless, it is easily reached in a one-day trip, which can "charge your batteries" so much, that you eventually have the feeling that you gained many days of holiday!
First of all, what you have to do is put your sneakers on, because here if you do not walk, you will lose half the beauty of the city.
Let's have a look at what the basics are, that you must do on a one-day excursion to Nafplio, so that you have a most wonderful time:
1. Going up to Palamidi castle. If you have no car, I suggest the first thing you do, as soon as you arrive in town, is climbing up the castle's stairs. Not 999, as it is said in tradition, but the actual 857 castle's steps you can't say they are few! However, the view from above is really worthwhile.
2. Taking a boat and passing across to Bourtzi castle. In 5 minutes and costing you 4,5 euros, you will find yourself in the Venetian castle and you will see Nafplion as a live painting in front of you.
3. Taking the walk from the port's lighthouse to Arvanitia beach. Walking on this stone paved pedestrian road by the sea, on this lovely path, you will discover perhaps the most beautiful and serene view of Nafplio.
4. Enjoy a cup of coffee or a delicious meal in the first square of the Greek state, the Syntagma Square. You may even simply wander around and be photographed outside the Archaeological Museum, the Trianon, the first Greek Parliament (called Vouleftiko). There are excellent suggestions around the Square for you, such as the unique in style and quality Sokaki Cafe or Mentor Restaurant, for an unforgettable meal at the city's most central spot!
5. Enjoy a meal in a picturesque little tavern, out of those that are found in the streets of the old town, tables out in the alley and the bougainvilleas spreading color at your moments. For a low budget solution, you can simply take a "souvlaki" in the hand and sit on a bench near the lighthouse, to enjoy it.
6. You will naturally buy an ice-cream -proven to be a "must" in the late years. The variety is huge, from Greek local ice-cream to the Italian "gelato"; as the afternoon is sure to catch you strolling with a cone in the hand, gazing at all kind of souvenir shops. But definitely try quality ice cream with pure local milk at the Gelarto and remember me!
Road trip tip
If you are coming from Athens, the only negative thing of a one-day trip is the travel expenses. But you can take the bus with a return ticket, which is cheaper (23 euros round trip), you can also book your trip through a tourist office, that offers one-day excursions (even with 6 euros per person) or if you are part of a bigger company, use a car and share gasoline and tolls.