Above the historic settlement of "Pronia", the "Evangelistria" (our Lady of the Annunciation) Church stands on the highest spot, in an impressive location with a large courtyard, overlooking the entire city of Nafplio and the sea, as well as Argos.
The church has two sectors (is bi-component) and the left aisle is dedicated to the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, as the right aisle is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary. It must have been completely rebuilt or expanded at least four times from its original form. The present Temple was built from foundations in 1975, without any alteration of its former form.
The whole structure of the Temple and the nearby buildings reveal that it was once a small monastery. The list of Nafplio parishes during the Second Venetian dominion (1686 - 1715) includes it as "the church of priest Iakovos Vourdouchas from Athens, which is outside in the "Caves", outside of Nafplio. This church is called the Birth of Theotokos."
On the northern side of the temple, a marble font has been constructed, in order that the elderly are christened and, above all, the foreigners. On the south side of the church, there is the chapel of Agios Fanourios and right next to it, there is a room which is united to the chapel and in which a collection of historical objects is exhibited. Beside the chapel there are two large halls, used as a cultural center of the Parish, for a group Bible study, for catechism to gatherings of children, etc.
On the eve of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary, on March 25th, the church celebrates with brilliance and majesty, since also the carrying round of the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary in "Pronia" area is happening, accompanied by troops and the Nafplio Philarmonic band, also attended by the religious and political authorities of the city. After the carrying round of the miraculous icon, in the evening, the Holy Prayer of Our Lady is chanted and a holy Vigilance is taking place. On the day of the actual celebration, the Holy Mass is performed.
Did you know that?
Each year, during the celebration of the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary (March 25th), thousands of Christians and visitors arrive from all over the Peloponnese. It is one of the biggest religious celebrations in Argolis and the road to the church closes.
The church is particularly popular and preferred for Weddings and Baptisms, because of its exceptional view over Nafplio and of its elegant surroundings.
The "Evangelistria" Church of Nafplio daily distributes food portions to a number of 140-160 needy citizens, while accepting kind donations in food and clothing. The church is known for its charity action and retains its own Blog.
The priest of the temple is pastor Eleftherios Michos.
Τ +30 27520 27778