Why Nafplio is better in September
When everyone returns to the city wishing "Have a nice Autumn", for me the sweetest time of year begins in Nafplio! Why?
- The pedestrian streets are starting to empty from the August's vacationers and the city is now "breathing" again, bringing out its natural beauty.
- You take lovely photographs of the most picturesque corners of the city, without having included in your photo yet another group of tourists who -yes- did exactly the same thing as you...
- You easily find sun loungers at the beach bars, and even in the front row -you and the sea- without anything to interrupt this special dual relationship!
- You are no longer waiting in the queue to get your favorite ice cream.
- It's your turn now to become a tourist, to take a ride with the tourist train, to rent a bicycle or just walk up to Arvanitia beach wearing your salty straw hat.
- You enjoy the quick service for a change, at the taverns by the sea.
- You can spend hours in the shops, trying on sandals and buying caftans for next summer.
- You take an excursion to Nemea and taste the "Agiorgitiko" in its wineries.
- You go back to visit a painting exhibition in your favorite multiplex, this time without the stress of hurrying to find an empty table afterwards.
- You take a night swim, having as unique company the cicadas still singing at nights, and gazing up at the starry sky. There is Venus, do you see how bright it is?
- You go to the summer cinema holding a light jacket at hand, you buy popcorn and a cold beer and you sit wherever you like -not wherever you find a seat!
- You cut off the last figs from your neighbor's fig tree and you are lucky enough to get people bring you grapes and peanuts.
You extend your summer as long as you can, you make plans for the winter, you make decisions with a clear mind and you take time to arrange and put the sea-inflatables away, prepare your suitcase to return and leave one or two swimsuits aside for the next time you come to Nafplio again -the city that you never get enough to visit all year round!